Re: Still having problems with sata_promise on all late kernels - shutdown too - BISECTED

Tejun Heo wrote:
Any attempt to spin down sdi-sdo in any order locks hard. Any attempt to
spin down sda-sdh works in any combination/permutation.

Hmmm... I'm out of ideas.  It definitely sounds like some sort of
hardware problem to me.  I think the best way to diagnose the problem is
playing the tedious but often rewarding add-remove-swap game with the
hardware and see to which piece or combination of pieces the problem is
attached.

The problem appears to be having more than 2 Promise cards in the system. Both machines have >2 cards (one has 3 and the other has 4) and they both lock up on shutdown in the same fashion (first 8 drives are ok, then it locks).

Between this and the intermittent BUS Errors under load, perhaps I toss the promise cards and upgrade to some 4 port SIL cards instead.

Brad
-