Re: 40-wire/80-wire detection

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Craig Block wrote:
Linux kernel: version 2.6.22.1
Chipset: VIA VT8363 + VT82C686A
Hard drives: Quantum Fireball LCT10 (UDMA66)

I'm having a problem with the 80-wire/40-wire cable detection in the
ata driver.  Even when I configure the kernel with IDEDMA_IVB set, I
still get the 40-wire speed downgrade on hda.

Why did you guys put that 80-wire/40-wire cable detection in the ata
driver anyway?  Since when is it your job to police me in making sure
I'm using the correct cable on my drives.

If you signal a 40-wire cable too fast, you get trouble with a capital T.

	Jeff

-

This would be fine if the software could correctly figure it out. Problem is it can't always get it right so the user should be allowed to "override" it at their own risk. Linux is turning
into winblows  - in that  choice is be taken away from the user.

My $.02
Steve Clark

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

-