Re: sata_promise ata exceptions (2.6.20.6)

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> I've seen reports of issues like these with second-generation
> Promise SATA chips and SATAII (3Gbps) drives, but this is the
> first time I've seen any issues with a first-generation chip.
>
> 1. Please try 2.6.21-rc6 plus the following two patches:
>    http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/patches/2.6/patch-sata_promise-1-separate-sata-pata-ops-2.6.21-rc6
>    http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/patches/2.6/patch-sata_promise-2-error_intr-2.6.21-rc6
>
>    This probably won't eliminate the errors, but should improve
>    the level of detail in the error messages.

I'll do this tonight and send updated logs, thanks.

> 2. Try with a better power supply and verify that cooling is OK.
>    Also verify that the SATA data and power cables are firmly attached.

My power supply is well over-sized for my machine (Antec 480W), so that
shouldn't be a problem. I double checked all my SATA data and power cables.
I also tried switching from SATA-power to PATA-power cables (my drives
support both) to see if that made a difference (it didn't). I've reseated my
cables, switched cable order, etc. to see if I had a bad cable, but no
evidence I do.

>    We've seen several reports of mysterious issues that eventually
>    were traced to insufficient power supplies or poorly seated
>    PCI cards (but in your case the chip is integrated on the mobo).

Understandable. I saw several reports like that on the list, and hence tried
the above.

Thanks for your time, I'll get you updated logs tonight.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming