Re: regression: ide-floppy doesn't work with IOMEGA IDE ZIP drive

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > Albert Lee wrote:

> > > Maybe it's also worth a try to replace the medium, cable or even the
> > > drive itself to rule out the possibility of hardware problem.
> >
> > I'll try it. I cannot replace the drive, I don't have any spare one, but
> > my colleague has. He will try it on his machine. So let's wait for
> > result.
> >
> > Looking at the syslog in Novell bug 232086 in detail, following line may
> > indicate hardware failure:
> > usb 5-1: string descriptor 0 read error: -22
> >
> > My drive is a slave on bus, where master is a modern Seagate ST3160812A.
> >
> > On my system I see two regressions:

> It is reproduceable, SuSE 10.1 kernel is "good" and SuSE 10.2 is "bad".
> So even if this is caused by some hardware problems or different
> initialization order git-bisect on 2.6.16-2.6.20 should tell us what
> change caused the problem.

After more kernels testing I am inclined to suspect broken hardware.

2.4.20 (SuSE 8.1) and newer kernels  exhibits this "DRQ isn't asserted"
error. The latest kernel working without any problem is five years old
2.4.18 (SuSE 8.0).

In some older systems the delay was "hidden" somewhere in the boot
process, now userspace processes repeatedly scan all media, which makes
delay permanent.

--
Best Regards,

Stanislav Brabec