Re: regression: ide-floppy doesn't work with IOMEGA IDE ZIP drive

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Albert Lee wrote:
> > Tejun Heo wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm... weird.  Your drive bears the same model name as Stanislav's.  I
> > > don't think the low level driver is causing the difference.  They both
> > > use the standard libata HSM implementation.  Any ideas?  Stanislav, can
> > > you try to connect that zip drive to another IDE controller?
>
> > Maybe it's also worth a try to replace the medium, cable or even the
> > drive itself to rule out the possibility of hardware problem.
>
> I'll try it. I cannot replace the drive, I don't have any spare one, but
> my colleague has. He will try it on his machine. So let's wait for
> result.
>
> Looking at the syslog in Novell bug 232086 in detail, following line may
> indicate hardware failure:
> usb 5-1: string descriptor 0 read error: -22
>
> My drive is a slave on bus, where master is a modern Seagate ST3160812A.
>
> On my system I see two regressions:
> - One between year 2002 kernels and SuSE Linux 10.0:
>   Delay with "packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted" before
>   first read access, then the read will succeed.
>   I did not yet reproduce this regression just now on my hardware.
> - Second between SuSE 10.1 and 10.2:
>   Delay with "packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted" before
>   any attempt to access, then it will fail.
>   This regression is reproducible just now on my hardware, but still may
>   be caused by hardware problems raised by a slightly different
>   initialization order.

It is reproduceable, SuSE 10.1 kernel is "good" and SuSE 10.2 is "bad".
So even if this is caused by some hardware problems or different
initialization order git-bisect on 2.6.16-2.6.20 should tell us what
change caused the problem.

PS Tejun, I praise efforts to make ATA floppy drives work with libata
but this is IMO a _future_ work (won't help et all for existing
systems/distributions) and we need to have ide-floppy fixed _now_.

Bart