Re: ICH7m problem using libata

Jan Gutter wrote:
> and the hard drive just uses PIO. With libata, it hangs up randomly,
> causing the driver to eventually clock down to PIO mode too.

I have a new Acer 5614WSMi with similar timeouts, and although it has a
different model PATA hard drive, the PATA cdrom is the same model and
firmware version, and it seems to be the cdrom that is timing out.

When I migrated my gentoo install over, the first kernel I tried was 2.6.18
with both the IDE PIIX driver (manually added the ICH7M pci id to get DMA)
and libata and I got timeouts on both drivers.  I'm now using libata on
kernel: 2.6.19-gentoo-r2 which is based on mainline 2.6.19.1 and am still
getting timeouts.

At first I noticed that the timeouts stop if I don't have any programs running
(like hald) that regularly query the cdrom.  Then I had a look at the hald
source code to find out which commands might be causing the timeouts.  I
wrote a simple test program that just opens the cdrom with "O_RDONLY |
O_NONBLOCK" then immediately closes it and loops every second and it
triggered a timeout after a few hours.  Then I changed the delay to 4 seconds
and still got a timeout after a while.  If I change the test program to only
open the cdrom once then continously execute a status command such as the
CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS ioctl every second, the timeouts don't seem to occur.

Hopefully this should help with finding the source of the problem.

--
Matthew Stapleton
-