Re: Scary Intel SATA problem: "frozen"

Linus Torvalds wrote:
So maybe these _are_ related somehow, and my problem showed up because I actually had concurrent access to my DVD drive (some KDE media daemon checking to see if I inserted a music CD or something?). Jeff, Tejun, is there any reason to believe that the two channels on a PIIX ata controller are somehow "tied together" and it could be problematic for concurrent accesses?

I was sorta wondering in that direction too. If its in legacy mode (PATA and SATA smushed together), that's a possibility. But native or AHCI modes, the channels are pretty independent (which is the nature of SATA).

Historical note: ata_piix is IMO more complicated than ahci, because the silicon is emulating the PATA interface using an internal (probably huge) state machine, converting PATA behavior to sending/receiving SATA packets. There are classes of problems that just don't exist on ahci, simply because we can directly talk to the sata phy, rather than having to guess what the emulation state machine is doing.

	Jeff

-