Re: Scary Intel SATA problem: "frozen"

Linus Torvalds wrote:
[ You may or may not have gotten my previous email. The kernel stayed working, but due to the IO errors the filesystem got re-mounted read-only, and I'm not sure that the email I sent out in that state actually ever made it out. I suspect it didn't. ]

Jeff,
I just had a scary thing on my nice new Intel i965 box (all Intel chipsets apart from some strange Marvell IDE interface that I'm not using and that no driver even detected, and a TI firewire thing that I'm similarly not using).

The machine basically froze for about a minute or so (well, things worked surprisingly well, considering that apparently no disk IO happened - I initially thought it was just firefox that had frozen up, since my mail session seemed to be fine), and after it came back the filesystem was mounted read-only and nothing really worked any more..

I have no idea what status 0xD0 means: it looks like ATA_BUSY + ATA_DRDY + "bit#4", but what is bit#4?

Bit #4, when actually implemented, is a rotational seek indicator,
which can be used for timing purposes.

But when BUSY (bit #7) is set, the rest are generally nonsense.

And clearly, the soft-reset isn't doing squat.

Tejun ?

-