Re: sata_promise issue with SATA 300 TX4 (PDC40718)

Theo Baumgartner schrieb:
Several times i heard a sound like the disk head is banging against
the case. Got me very paranoic about disk failure. Why should a brand new disk
make such a noise? Is this still related to these failures/messages/whatever the kernel now giving out in Mbyte chunks (yes log is realy growing rapidly)?
I never heard such a noise on my harddisk (Maxtor 6L200M0). You should check SMART status of your drive, if there are problems on the harddisk it will surely show up in the SMART attributes or even the SMART log (if it's in the log, it's time to backup your harddrive and replace it).

P.S. Perhaps the acoustic management is set to loud (check with hdparm or similar program).

Ansgar Knappheide
-