Re: sata_promise issue with SATA 300 TX4 (PDC40718)

Theo Baumgartner schrieb:
Ansgar Knappheide schrieb:
I have seen this error message on all versions of kernel 2.6 since the beginning and also on kernel 2.4 and asked about this error message some time ago, but didn't get an answer. It happens on heavy random access (heavy headmovement) on disk but also on fsck(.ext3). Since kernel 2.16 or 2.6.17 (since printing "Info fld=xxxxxx) this error message is getting rare. P.S. I've never seen any data corruption, so this is not a serious error for me , but might be for others.

Is this only limited to sata_promise or are there also other sata/pata drivers
that have this type of error message?
There has to be a reason for this message. Is the controller/disk telling the
kernel "stop pushing me or i will loose data"?

I don't know, if there are other drivers, cause for my pata drives I use the "old" ide via82cxxx driver not libata pata and there I don't get any error messages of this type.
And is there realy _no_ data corruption? This fileserver should store my
picture archive and i don't/can't do every day/week backups. And as long as i get
this message i don't trust this machine/controller/disk/kernel/driver/whatever.
I have seen no really no data corruption, not even under heavy load and I am using the SATAII150 TX4 (I think the driver makes no difference between your and my controller except the the transfer rate) controller about a year without any problems on my productions system. I guess this error, means something like "timeout on last command, tryed again with success" or similar.

I hope any of the driver programmers will soon, get on this (I'm still waiting for ATAPI support on this driver, cause I extra bought a SATA dvdwriter to be ready for future).

Ansgar Knappheide
-