Re: Errors when copying between drives on a SiI3114 controller under kernel 2.6.18

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:13:57 +0100, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ar Llu, 2006-10-23 am 11:22 +0900, ysgrifennodd Tejun Heo:
I guess it could be a PCI bus problem.  Maybe the controller and the PCI
bus on the board don't like each other and thing get corrupt when
transactions occur at high speed.  I've seen data corruption over PCI
bus on some pilot embedded system board.  Not sure whether such things
are applicable to consumer products.

From the IDE driver...

 *      If you have strange problems with nVidia chipset systems please
 *      see the SI support documentation and update your system BIOS
 *      if neccessary

Alan

BIOS for the A7N8X is the latest 1008 version which overcomes a boot limitation - the board would not boot with more than 1 SATA controller installed.

This RAID corruption bug was supposedly fixed in 1005.

Since contacting Asus technical support is likely to be as productive as getting blood from a stone, I'm going to go ahead and scrounge another motherboard - since this is socket A stuff it should be dirt cheap by now.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Jonathan
-