Re: Some questions about new EH in libata

On 8/21/06, Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fajun Chen wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I just upgraded to the libata with new EH and I have some questions
> about the new error handler:
> 1. In several occasions, I saw a port being disable, under what kind
> of conditions will new EH disable a port?

After EH fails to recover a device.  It usually takes three recovery
trial failures.

> 2. For user space program, is there any way to checked the state of a
> port/drive? I noticed that dmesg has some printout but that could be
> wiped out by other traces or errors.

Hmmm... Not yet.

> 3. Does libata allow user space code to reset host/bus/drive or only
> libata itself has the privilege? I tried sg reset IOCTL interface on
> SATA Sil3124, it seems not working.

No, that doesn't work but issuing userscan forces libata to reset the
channel.

> 4. How to reenable a port/drive after it's disabled without rebooting?
> Any API or command from user space?

You can use SCSI userscan interface.

Is this a scsi command? I looked at scsi spec and haven't found it
yet. I know how to initiate user scan from proc or sysfs, but there is
no way to know the result of user scan through proc or sysfs.  I'm
looking for a way to check when a pata drive is back online after a
power cycle. May I issue userscan periodically until its result
indicates pata drive is available?
-