Re: libata question

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 16:20 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> >> If you're uncomfortable with -rcX, you can try libata-tj-stable patch.
> >> It contains most of new stuff.
> >>
> >> http://home-tj.org/files/libata-tj-stable/libata-tj-2.6.17.4-20060710.tar.bz2
> >
> > Thanks for that. But it had no noticeable difference.
>
> Hmmm... That's weird. 'echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/xxx.../scan'
> didn't do the right thing?  Care to post dmesg?

I thought maybe the detection of removal and insertion would work. I did
not try the /sys stuff. I will look into that. I guess I can have them
be sure there is a disk in each bay when the system is powered up. I
will see if this hardware requires this.

> > I looked in the bios on my system to see if I could set the SATA disks
> > to AHCI mode. I did not see anything like that. I could select to do a
> > manual config, in which case I could set things like LBA mode, 32-bit
> > I/O (which defaults to off). So if hots wap require AHCI mode, I seem to
> > be screwed. It is a phoenix bios for the supermicro computer.
>
> The chipset might not support ahci mode.
>
> > Maybe I can try a different SATA card instead of the stuff on the
> > motherboard. What do you think is the best one re hots waping? Either
> > PCI or PCI-X.
>
> I primarily use sil3112/4, sil3124/32 and ahci for development.  So
> those tend to have better support for EH/hotplug stuff.

> >> I tried hard to make things just work.  If you find things unnecessarily
> >> complicated, please let me know.
> >
> > I have a system with an IDE disk with the OS that is fixed. I also have
> > 4 hot swappable SATA disk bays. My use will involve changing the SATA
> > disks to do an analysis of the data they contain. There will be 4 disks
> > in an analysis set. I need to make it easy for the user to insert and
> > remove disks. Rebooting each time is a bad alternative. So, if hot swap
> > does not work, I will have to get warm swap working. I think part of the
> > confusion I have is how to deal with disks that are mounted. So I need
> > to get the steps well defined and make those that require user
> > interaction as few as possible.
>
> As far as libata is concerned, for warmplug, all you need to use are
>
>    echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_device/xxxx/device/delete
>
> for removal, and for plugging
>
>    echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/xxxxx/scan
>
> If you remove device before unmounting, the mounted fs will suffer from
> io errors and probably spit quite some error messages, so unmounting
> before is a good idea.
>
> In general, ata_piix doesn't respond very well to runtime device
> addition mainly due to problems with port enable.  So, if you boot with
> empty slot and put new device in there and issue scan, it might or might
> not work, but ports which had a device attached on boot seem to always work.
>
> On any 2.6.17 kernel, without new EH, none of hot/warm plugging works.
> Please double check you have the correct kernel.  Kernel messages are
> very different.

It is 2.6.17.7 (current stable from kernel.org), with your suggested
patches.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in