Re: libata question

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 00:33 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Should hotplug work with Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7
Family) chipset? I am trying kernel 2.6.17.7

Ah.. I should have spotted this earlier. 2.6.17.7 doesn't contain updated EH and doesn't support any of new features including hot/warmplug. Please try 2.6.18-rc3.

I have been trying the warmplug stuff. But I am not convinced it is acting as I expect. If I remove a disk and then do a scan, shouldn't
the disk entry go away?
Eventually, yes.  Do you mind to send me the dmesg?

I have picked out the lines related to this. Some of the complaints at
the end are probably when I moved the disk.

Yeap, those look pretty normal for the previous code.  :p

I know about the problems with just removing a disk. But this is with
one that is not mounted. I just want to see if the disks are properly
sensed as coming and going. I am using the warmplug instructions on
your web site.
There are some complications with piix PCS register (port enable/disable) which always seems to have some problem. If you can use AHCI mode, it will be *much* better.

OK. How do I get it in ahci mode? I see that both the ata_piix and achi
drivers are loaded. This is what is loaded:

Plain ICH7 doesn't support ahci. ICH7R supports ahci mode and usually configurable in the BIOS menu. On my board (P5LD2), it's in the first page (the left-most one where the clock setting is and hard disks are enumerated), it's called IDE configuration or something.

If you think the driver doesn't do the right thing(tm), please send me detailed info. I'll try to fix the problem if possible or explain why it can't be fixed at the very least.

I bet the driver does the right thing. The trick is knowing what that is
supposed to be. And how to use the various commands on files in /sys at
the correct time and in the correct order.

Really, it's not that complicated.

--
tejun
-