Re: NCQ general question

On 3/4/06, Steve Byan <smb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2006, at 2:10 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Measurements on NCQ in the field show a distinct performance
> > improvement...  30% has been measured on Linux.  Nothing to sneeze at.
>
> Wow! 30% is amazing. I'd be interested in knowing how the costs break
> down; are these measurements published anywhere?

Full-stroke random reads with small operations (4k or less) typically
show 75-85% performance improvement, from the ability of a 7200rpm
drive to carve 4ms out of their response time, as well as a huge chunk
of seek distance.

Random writes, since as you said they're already reordered with cache
enabled, don't typically show any sort of increase in desktop
applications.

NCQ FUA writes or NCQ writes with cache disabled should show the same
ballpark performance improvement as random reads in saturated
workloads.  Again however, this is for the full-stroke random case.
Local area workloads need to be analyzed more thoroughly, and may
differ in performance gain by manufacturer.

--eric
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in