terminal SATA troubles

I see from the source that you are the maintainer of the Silicon Graphics SATA
driver. I don't think my prob really has anything to do with that driver, but
I'm hoping you might be able to answer a couple questions for me.

Situation:
Debian distro, 2.6.15 kernel, one P4 system, one AMD64

Problem:
These machines have a SCSI drive and a SATA. I want the SCSI to be the system
drive and use the SATA for mass storage. My BIOS has the SCSI as the first in
the list of bootable hard drives; grub installed on (hd0); the boot partition
is #1 on the SCSI. Grub hits the SCSI for the initial stage, but when it goes
to the line in menu.lst that says the kernel is on sda, sda is the SATA.
Things degenerate quickly from there.

Is there an way to control the assignment in /dev? What is doing this?

And most important, where in the source does this assignment happen, and where
is it documented? I can read (English and C), but I can't find it (i've tried
google and grep'ed the source as best I know how).

--
Glenn English
ghe@xxxxxxxxxxx

-