Re: i2c-i801 partially broken on Lynx Point PCH?

Me again...

On Wed, 18 May 2016 14:05:08 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> * The I2C Block Read transaction must set this bit to 0 (write) even if
>   it is a read transaction. This is explicitly mentioned in the
>   datasheet (page 215, "For I2C Read command, the value written into
>   bit 0 of the Transmit Slave Address Register (SMB I/O register,
>   offset 04h) needs to be 0.")
> (...)
> Mika/Jarkko, is there any chance to get your hardware people involved?
> I wonder if there is any workaround to this issue? Any chance to get
> this fixed in future chipsets? Not sure about Send Byte but the write
> protection should definitely not block I2C Block Read transactions.
>
> For now we need to come up with a software workaround. I can think of 3
> approaches:
> (...)
> If anyone can think of any better solution, please let me know.

4* It could be that the sentence in the datasheet that claims the slave
   address register bit 0 must be set to 0 (write) for I2C Block Reads
   is a left-over from previous incarnations of the chipset, and this no
   longer holds true today. Out of curiosity I tried setting bit 0 to 1
   (as it should normally be for a read) and it seems to work just
   fine. And then it is no longer affected by the SPD write protection
   mechanism. However I don't know if there is any problem or negative
   side effect I may have missed.

Mika/Jarkko, can you check with your hardware guys if that statement on
page 215 still holds for 8-Series/C220 and later?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support