Re: I2C driver for LTC1760 dual smart battery system manager

Greetings,

Am Montag, den 09.05.2016, 10:00 +0200 schrieb Peter Rosin:
> Hi!
>
> [adding acpi people]
>
> On 2016-05-09 03:41, Phil Reid wrote:
> > G'day Karl,
> > On 7/05/2016 03:23, Karl-Heinz Schneider wrote:
> >> Hi Phil

> >> Think so too.
>
> I also think the muxing in ltc1760 appears to fit nicely with the
> i2c-mux framework. But I only had a cursory look...

> >> Indeed I failed to find it. Looked through drivers to find something
> >> similar. How is it named?
> > It wrapped up in the acpi/sbs.c driver. Does specifically mention the ltc1760.
> > It doesn't really do much with the charger other than use it to enumerate number of batteries
> > and switch the i2c mux.
> > Search for manager_present and you'll find the relevant code.
>
> I had a look at the acpi code you point to, and it appears to be
> racy.
>
> It registers an attribute (alarm_attr) for every batteriy with the
> "store" function set to acpi_battery_alarm_store, which calls
> acpi_battery_set_alarm, which -- without any locking -- checks if
> the mux is set correctly, updates the mux if not, and then writes
> to the battery.
>
> I see other code-paths that also appear to touch the mux in
> similar ways (i.e. without locking) but I didn't really look any
> further than the above, which seems to be enough of a real
> problem if separate users write to the alarm attr of batteries
> connected to the same manager.
>
> The suggested fix is to register the ltc1760 mux as a real
> i2c-mux, which would probably be easiest when the i2c-mux locking
> update scheduled for 4.7 has landed (presently available in the
> i2c for-next branch and in linux-next).

Then I will take a look at this new stuff. For the device I target I'm
forced to use an old 3.14 Kernel :-(.

At the moment I'm doing some further tests, especially the thing with
read/write failures which do happen from time to time does bother me
(ltc1760 does stretch i2c clock). Once I'm happy with it I will post
code.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Greetings