Re: I2C driver for LTC1760 dual smart battery system manager

Hi!

[adding acpi people]

On 2016-05-09 03:41, Phil Reid wrote:
> G'day Karl,
> On 7/05/2016 03:23, Karl-Heinz Schneider wrote:
>> Hi Phil
>>
>> Am Freitag, den 06.05.2016, 15:27 +0800 schrieb Phil Reid:
>>> G'day Karl

>>> They're nice chips.

>>> I've been writing a driver for the same chip :).
>>> My system has 2 ltc1760 for a total of 4 batteries.
>>> Haven't completed it as yet so hadn't posted, but got it talking to the batteries.
>>> I implemented an I2c mux in the driver and just attached two sbs-battery's to it in the device tree.
>>> I think the mux is the way to go, simple and reuses existing code.
>>>

>> Think so too.

I also think the muxing in ltc1760 appears to fit nicely with the
i2c-mux framework. But I only had a cursory look...

>>> FYI, if you didn't find it there is an acpi only driver for the ltc1760 in the kernel.
>>> But I could see a way to make it work with device trees. It enumerates it's own
>>> batteries.
>>
>> Indeed I failed to find it. Looked through drivers to find something
>> similar. How is it named?
> It wrapped up in the acpi/sbs.c driver. Does specifically mention the ltc1760.
> It doesn't really do much with the charger other than use it to enumerate number of batteries
> and switch the i2c mux.
> Search for manager_present and you'll find the relevant code.

I had a look at the acpi code you point to, and it appears to be
racy.

It registers an attribute (alarm_attr) for every batteriy with the
"store" function set to acpi_battery_alarm_store, which calls
acpi_battery_set_alarm, which -- without any locking -- checks if
the mux is set correctly, updates the mux if not, and then writes
to the battery.

I see other code-paths that also appear to touch the mux in
similar ways (i.e. without locking) but I didn't really look any
further than the above, which seems to be enough of a real
problem if separate users write to the alarm attr of batteries
connected to the same manager.

The suggested fix is to register the ltc1760 mux as a real
i2c-mux, which would probably be easiest when the i2c-mux locking
update scheduled for 4.7 has landed (presently available in the
i2c for-next branch and in linux-next).

Cheers,
Peter