Re: pca953x GPIO

Hi Joan,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:21:57 +0100, Joan Pau Beltran wrote:
> We are also working with an Advantech PCM3362 board in an underwater
> vehicle, and want to use the GPIO port to monitor the battery charge (a
> battery board is connected to the GPIO port and sets a pin to 1 when
> voltage goes below 20V).
>
> We need to use Ubuntu, currently 10.04 with kernel
> linux-image-2.6-32-26-generic.
>
> As Giampolo says, out of the box there aren't any chips under
> /sys/class/gpio (only import/export files).
> After checking that i2c-gpio and pca953x are shipped with the kernel but
> no loaded by default, I tried to modprobe them and they load
> successfully, but the chip does not appear in /sys/class/gpio.
> i2cdetect does not list any bus.

When you load the i2c-gpio driver, it looks for support devices. So
your platform initialization code must instantiate a platform device
with name "i2c-gpio" and proper platform data (GPIO pin descriptions).
There are several examples under arch/blackfin and arch/arm you can
look at.

If done properly, after loading i2c-dev, i2cdetect should see your I2C
bus. Until you manage to get there, there is no point in using driver
pca953x, it simply can't work.

--
Jean Delvare