Re: Need help to fix some issues with the linux driver "i2c-gpio"

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:32:07 +0100, Matthias Zacharias wrote:
> With the new patch the driver is working fine, also with i2c_debug =
> 3.
>
> See the screenshot in my dropbox
> (http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/16457261/1/I2C_2_MLX90614?h=8e2a46)

Looks good, great. I'll send the patch for review and comments to both
the linux-i2c list and LKML later today.

Do you want me to list you as a tester in the patch header? If I do
that, I'll have to include your name and e-mail address, so I need to
know if this is OK with you.

> > (...)
> > Just publish it as is, and I'll review it publicly. It will
> > certainly take a number of round trips to get it right, if this is
> > your first contribution, but that's OK.
> >

> This MLX90614 driver has a reduced functionality. It was tailored for
> our application which use only the temperature read function.
> Also the SMBus address is fix defined in the source code, and no
> checkes if the factory preprogramming is correct are done.
> The option to manage the configuration of the MLX90614 as described in
> the datasheets is not yet implemented, because we don't need it.

This is totally OK. Others can add functionalities to the driver later
if needed.

> > (...)
> > FYI, I have asked Melexis for an MLX90614 evaluation board, they
> > have sent something to me, so as soon as I receive it I should be
> > able to test your driver.
>
> The evalutionboard (EVB) shiped by Melexis uses his own microcontroller
> on that board and communicate to the PC via USB. In our system the
> MLX90614 sensor is connected directly to the port pins of the
> microcontroller.

I know that. I don't plan to actually use the micro-controller on the
evaluation board. There are I2C pins on the board, and I'll connect an
external I2C master [1] to them.

[1] http://www.harbaum.org/till/i2c_tiny_usb/index.shtml

--
Jean Delvare