Need help: Watchdog-driver over smbus (i2c)

Hello!

I'm trying to code a watchdog driver for the Winbond w83793g chip. I
already coded a watchdog for another Winbond chip before, but for
this I need to access it over the system managment bus (or more
specific the i2c, client address 2E).

I already coded the detection and initialization routines, but now I
need some help, because I do not know how to use the i2c framework
together with the watchdog framework.
All other drivers I found are using the sysfs framework. This functions
use the to_i2c_client() function to get a pointer to the i2c client.

I tried to store the i2c client pointer to a global variable, to use
it later in the watchdog functions.
But when I try to use the "i2c_smbus_read_byte_data()" or
"i2c_smbus_write_byte_data()" functions, I will get a kernel OOPS
(without any hw-sensors driver loaded!).

What is the best method to get the watchdog framework (i.e. the open,
close, write, read and ioctl functions) to work with the i2c framework?

Moreover the w83793g hardware sensors driver may already
accessing the same chip. What is the normal way to deal with this?

Regards
 Sven Anders

--
 Sven Anders <anders@xxxxxxxxxx>                 () Ascii Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

  - Benjamin Franklin
begin:vcard
fn:Sven Anders
n:Anders;Sven
org:ANDURAS AG;Research and Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;Innstra=C3=9Fe 71;Passau;Bavaria;94036;Germany
email;internet:anders@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Dipl. Inf.
tel;work:++49 (0)851 / 490 50 -0
tel;fax:++49 (0)851 / 590 50 - 55