Re: Request for Clarification: old - legacy - new driver model

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:45:22 +0100, Michael Lawnick wrote:
> Jean Delvare said the following:
> > Sorry but I don't quire follow you here. What play ground are you
> > talking about?
> >
> I was talking about the version of I2C sub system you are currently
> working on ...
> Oh, I see, the patches of July are already in Kernel 2.6.28.7.

My own environment is Linus' latest kernel (2.6.29-rc7-git3 as we
speak) + my own public i2c patches, which you can see in almost
real-time at:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jdelvare/linux-2.6/jdelvare-i2c/

I may have a couple additional local patches but this is my own
business and nothing you should have to care about, obviously. But
anyway I am accepting any patch which applies properly on top of the
latest stable kernel (2.6.28.7 at the moment) as well. In general I can
adjust the patches myself if needs be. The only case where I insist on
patches applying to my tree exactly is for arch-specific patches I
can't test myself or drivers which have seen heavy changes recently.

> > (...)
> > I definitely prefer a sysfs-based approach as I initially mentioned,
> > this is much more flexible. If you have an urgent need for this
> > feature, we can add an action point to the wiki and start working on
> > an implementation. I suggest you start with creating your wiki
> > account then.
> >
> Incorporating such methods into subsystem would be much better of
> course. Probably as a sysFs entry automatically added to every adapter
> in /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-x

Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind.

> AFAICS I will do this in the next weeks. Regarding wiki the other
> question is whether I can take some official responsibility for such a
> patch. I'm doing it as a professional, bound to a project. Further
> development because of kernel changes in future wouldn't be supported in
> sufficient way :-(

Contributing code today doesn't bind you to maintaining said code in
the future. You really shouldn't have to worry about this. Once your
code is upstream, the subsystem maintainer (i.e. me for i2c) will take
care of maintaining it. Of course if you _do_ have time in the future
to help with maintenance or contribute more code, this will be very
welcome, but this is in no way mandatory.

--
Jean Delvare