Re: Request for Clarification: old - legacy - new driver model

Hi Jean,

I have now got a 2.6.28.7 Kernel to play with on my board.
I assume I have to patch some files to get the same play ground as you,
right? Could you give me the msgIds/links?

Jean Delvare said the following:
> Hi Michael,
(...)
>> > This is one of the 3 ways the new model can work, yes.
>>
>> And the other 2?
>
> I wrote a document explaining the 3 available methods. I am attaching
> it to this mail. Please read it. If it is clear enough, I plan to add
> it to Documentation/i2c. If it's no clear enough, well, ask your
> additional questions and I'll try to improve the document.

Reads good. I'll ack your post from today.

(...)
> I2C bus control (such as declaration of which devices are there)
> through sysfs doesn't exist today, but could be added for cases such as
> yours. I also can see the value of making mux drivers have a standard
> sysfs interface to disable some channels, to allow hot-plug scenarios
> such as yours. But I'd rather integrate Rodolfo's work as is first, and
> add features later. Even that promises to be slow...

I'm currently thinking about making a module that allows to trigger
probing of buses, something like
insmod i2cDevProbe.ko "modname",busNo,devNo
Could finally be integrated into subsystem if there are more folks that
like it.
--
Regards,
Michael