Re: RFC Need advice on reworking gpio-ep93xx.c to DT support

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 4:59 PM Alexander Sverdlin
<alexander.sverdlin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sceptical about this DT convertion.
> Not only will it make the kernel bigger (back then is was a concern),
> but they also do not guarantee any order of GPIOs with DT:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/comment/24009887/

I guess what you're actually saying is that you are using the GPIO
sysfs for interacting with GPIOs.

I am a bit troubled if boardfiles and old GPIO global numbers are
in the same legacy bundle but seems like so, because the device
tree ambition is to make resources abstract, not enumerated.

For good or for bad, it's not like I don't see the problem of supporting
legacy code.

I think a good approach is to create a DT-specific boardfile so that
systems can be booted from DT on EP93xx and then migrate those
boards that can. Then we see about the rest. It should also mean that
if you don't activate DT support the impact should be minimal.

Yours,
Linus Walleij