RE: [LSF/MM TOPIC] linux servers as a storage server - what'smissing?

Sure, it's just a partial snapshot(aka cached-data) of the file-system.

But writes that have to fetch the non-cached data, will unnecessarily
issue I/O to the fabric. These orphaned I/O's cause more pain in the
cleanup.
And if caching is enabled on the front-side then it's all the more
painful.

We can go one extra step and make FS fail read I/O for non-cached data
too
to avoid more orphan IOs.

Tearing down will happen sometime later. But don't you agree that
something needs
to happen before that? And that something is, read-only, which will
eventually
propagate to the users(example when you are copying a new file).
Users will then report it to their IT/admins.
This approach of serving the snap-shot(cached) file-system could serve
some users for what it's worth. It's better than surprise-removal and
issuing
needless IOs(read - eh race conditions).

> Also, if you have an ability to migrate that mount (same mount point)
> to another
> server or clone LUN, you want to unmount the source so you can remount
> the data
> under that same mount point/namespace....

Won't this be protocol specific.

> ric

Chetan Loke