Re: Intercepting system calls

On 12/29/11, Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well kprobe is:
>
> 1. meant to instrument debugging while developing
> 2. Is configured with kernel configuration parameters which you can
> not guarantee to be configured on deployment site.
> 3. slower as it works with debugger break point instruction and single
> stepping mode.
> 4. probing into an instruction and altering behavior might not scale
> across kernel version and interface changes.
>
> But yes, you can technically capture any kernel instruction's virtual
> address and probe into it. Building solution on top of such
> instrumentation -- HACK!! :)
Ok Thanks. I see it will be real slow then as its only a debugging
mechanism, I also found a hack which uses a kprobe based approach and
adds a jump code to beginning of system calls. Yes I agree with you ,
I don't want hack which needs to be changed with kernel versions or
depends on configuration of kernel.
I will give a try to wrapfs today. :) Is it too a hack ?

> Did you try looking for LSM as well?
LSM projects like SELinux ? Actually they need kernel rebuild/
reinstall thus I would try not to go for such options.

--
Thanks and Regards ,
Gaurav