Re: [2.6.32 ubuntu] I/O hang at start_this_handle

On Sat 09-04-11 11:21:40, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Jan Kara wrote:
> >   Hmm, but 2.6.18 is really ancient. I'm afraid I cannot help you much with
> > it. There have been numerous bugs fixed since then.
>
> It is RHEL5.6 kernel which the known bugs have been fixed. I guess that RHEL6.0
  Yes, but RHEL (as well as SLES) kernels are generally fixed on as needed
basis - i.e., when a customer reports an error, support debugs it and adds
the fix to the kernel. So you could well be the first one to spot the issue
with RHEL 5.6 kernel...

> kernel also has this bug (since this bug is in Ubuntu 10.04 kernels).
  Yes, Ubuntu 10.04 is more relevant. 2.6.32 is not that old and I don't
remember any fixes in that area.

> So, I want to try establishing the steps to reproduce.
>
> Does anybody come up with common characteristics between below hangups?
>
>  (a) Updating rpm packages using rpm executed from zypper.
>
>      Although, the process actually hanged is /bin/sh which
>      I guess was invoked for pre- or post- install scripts.
>
>        Installing: grub-0.97-173.6 [91%]
>
>  (b) Logging in from console using /bin/login .
>
>      Although, the process actually hanged seems to be auditd process
>      which attempted to write an audit log immediately after login event.
>
>  (c) PostgreSQL and Apache.
>
>      http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg24852.html
>
> Writing with O_SYNC? Or calling fsync()? Or calling ftruncate()? Or ...?
  I wouldn't expect any of this. If your original Ubuntu 10.04 report is
right, we block on j_barrier_count which is changed only in
journal_lock/unlock_updates() which gets called only from a few places.
The problem is that the hung process need not be directly related to the
hang. It can be just a victim of a race with some other process
manipulating j_barrier_count. But I don't see any such race in the code.
So I'd need a way to reproduce this so that we can perform some debugging.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR