Re: [2.6.32 ubuntu] I/O hang at start_this_handle

Jan Kara wrote:
> The problem is that the hung process need not be directly related to the
> hang. It can be just a victim of a race with some other process
> manipulating j_barrier_count.

I agree. /bin/sh would not hang by such simple write() call. /bin/sh will be
a victim of somebody else's write() calls.

But I think these three cases have something characteristic point.
For updating rpm's database, I think rpm would wait for data to be written
(using O_SYNC or fsync()). For auditing login event, I think the issuer of
audit event would wait for data to be written. For postgresql, I think
postmaster would wait for transaction log to be written.

So, my guess is multiple threads are writing data (maybe one is sync mode and
another is async mode, maybe one is calling fsync() and another is calling
write()). I wish there are test programs that cover such combinations.

If this hang occurs by simply multiple threads writing data in async mode,
this hang must have been reported so many times.