Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng v2.17.1

On 2010-02-26, at 15:47, Karel Zak wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 01:07:36PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

The only type that has "_volume_member" is VMFS.  In ZFS terms, the
aggregate is called a "pool", and a component member is a "VDEV", and
I'd prefer to stick to that if possible, just like MD uses
"linux_raid_member" and LVM uses "LVM2_member" for their component
devices. It seems "zfs_pool_member" or simply "zfs_member" would be OK?

OK, "zfs_member" sounds good.

OK.

The other question that has come up is whether the "UUID" for a
component device should be the UUID of the component device itself, or
that of the volume?  It seems to be for the component device, so is

Unfortunately, we don't have any rules for these things. See btrfs.c
(that's better example than vmfs.c ;-) where we have "UUID" for
filesystem and "UUID_SUB" (subvolume uuid) for the device.

The udev is able to use these UUIDs to create a hierarchy of symlinks,
something like:

  /dev/btrfs/<UUID>/<UUID_SUB>

This is itself a bit confusing, because AFAIK btrfs can have multiple "filesystems" within the same volume, so it would seem that "UUID" is for the whole volume?

It would be good if we can come to some consensus for this, since in the case of LVM2 it is using "UUID" for the disk UUID (seems this should be "UUID_SUB"), and the volume group UUID is not printed at all (seems this should be "UUID", maybe with LABEL={vgname}), and the LV UUID is completely ignored.

I'm ready with a ZFS patch to use "UUID" for the volume, and "UUID_SUB" for the disks, once we agree that this is correct.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group