Re: Testing if two open descriptors refer to the same inode

On 2024-07-29, Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Can you link me some threads about this?
> >
> > Sorry, it was an internal thread.  It's supposed to be common knowledge
> > among Linux file system developers.  Aleksa referenced LSF/MM
> > discussions.
>
> So much for open development :-P

To be clear, this wasn't _decided_ at LSF/MM, it was brought up as a
topic. There is an LWN article about the session that mentions the
issue[1].

My understanding is that the btrfs and bcachefs folks independently
determined they cannot provide this guarantee. As far as I understand,
the reason why is that inode number allocation on btree filesystems
stores information about location and some other bits (maybe subvolumes)
in the bits, making it harder to guarantee there will be no collisions.

Don't quote me on that though, I'm sure they'll tell me I'm wrong when
they wake up. :D

As the article mentions, Kent Overstreet suggested trying to see how
many things break if you build a kernel where all inode numbers are the
same (my guess would be "very badly" -- aside from the classic problem
of hardlink detection, a lot of programs key things by (dev, ino), and
some inode numbers are guaranteed by the kernel for pseudo-filesystems
like PROC_ROOT_INO).

[1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/975444/

--
Aleksa Sarai