Re: Testing if two open descriptors refer to the same inode

* Mateusz Guzik:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2024 at 12:57 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> * Mateusz Guzik:

>> > Can you link me some threads about this?
>>
>> Sorry, it was an internal thread.  It's supposed to be common knowledge
>> among Linux file system developers.  Aleksa referenced LSF/MM
>> discussions.
>>

> So much for open development :-P

I found this pretty quickly, so it does seem widely known:

  [LSF TOPIC] statx extensions for subvol/snapshot filesystems & more
  <https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/2uvhm6gweyl7iyyp2xpfryvcu2g3padagaeqcbiavjyiis6prl@yjm725bizncq/>

>> It's certainly much easier to use than name_to_handle_at, so it looks
>> like a useful option to have.
>>
>> Could we return a three-way comparison result for sorting?  Or would
>> that expose too much about kernel pointer values?
>>

> As is this would sort by inode *address* which I don't believe is of
> any use -- the order has to be assumed arbitrary.

Doesn't the order remain valid while the files remain open?  Anything
else doesn't seem reasonable to expect anyway.

Thanks,
Florian