Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] FS, MM, and stable trees

> On Mar 10, 2022, at 6:59 PM, Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 6:16 PM Sasha Levin <sashal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to participate in this as well - it is very important
> that we improve
> test automation processes.  We run a series of tests, hosted with VMs in Azure
> (mostly xfstests but also the git fs regression tests and various ones
> that are fs specific
> for testing various scenarios like reconnect and various fs specific
> mount options)
> regularly (on every pull request sent upstream to mainline) for cifs.ko and
> also for the kernel server (ksmbd.ko) as well.
>
> This does leave a big gap for stable although Redhat and SuSE seem to
> run a similar set of regression tests so not much risk for the distros.
>
> In theory we could periodically run the cifs/smb3.1.1 automated tests
> against stable,
> perhaps every few weeks and send results somewhere if there was a process
> for this for the various fs - but the tests we run were pretty clearly listed
> (and also in the wiki.samba.org) so may be easier ways to do this.  Tests could
> be run locally on the same machine to ksmbd from cifs.ko (or to Samba if
> preferred) so nothing extra to setup.
>
> Would be worth discussing the best process for automating something like
> this - others may have figured out tricks that could help all fs in this
> xfstest automation

It deserves mention that network file systems like Steve's and mine
have a slightly heavier lift because two systems at a time are needed
to test with -- client and server. I've found that requires more
infrastructure around Jenkins or whatever framework you like to drive
testing. Having a discussion about that and comparing notes about how
this particular issue can be resolved would be of interest to me.

--
Chuck Lever