Re: Filesystem fuzzing

Hi,

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Eric Sesterhenn wrote:
> * Szabolcs Szakacsits (szaka@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > We added ntfs-3g and fuse support, fixed the one crash and three hang
> > problems it found and made a new stable ntfs-3g 1.2531 release available:
> >
> > 	http://ntfs-3g.org/
> >
> > The fsfuzzer patch is attached below, it includes
> >
> >  - fixes for potentially leaking loop device
> >  - simplification for mkntfs which can be used on files
> >  - ntfs-3g and fuse support
>
> nice, i added them to my lokal version

Thanks!

> > > if someone maintaining one of those filesystems is interested in oops
> > > reports please let me know.
> >
> > We would appreciate ntfs-3g testing a lot. FUSE is used by over a hundred
> > file systems and ntfs-3g by many users, devices.
> >
> > > I can only test on a 32bit x86 box at the moment, so it might be
> > > interesting if someone runs this stuff on some 64bit box or other
> > > architecture.
> >
> > We are using fsfuzz on x86_64 too and hopefully soon on big-endian MIPS
> > and ARM.
>
> nice, to you only use those to test fuse/ntfs-3g or
> also the other filesystems?

We're focusing to fuse/ntfs-3g development, other file systems are tested
only in benchmarks and feature-compatibility evaluations. The latter two
have only jffs2 but I can give a try to some file systems on a 64-bit box.

> I added ntfs-3g testing to my testbox, and use the mercurial tree
> from http://mercurial.creo.hu/repos/ntfs-3g-hg to always test
> the latest version.

That's great, thanks! The development repository must have always already
tested code.

> The only problem I have is that when i mount images with -t ntfs the fuse
> driver also gets used, not the kernel one. is there an option to only use
> ntfs-3g when using -t ntfs-3g?

Ntfs-3 doesn't override the 'ntfs' file system type but some distos do.
If you have a /sbin/mount.ntfs symlink to the ntfs-3g executable then
just remove it and '-t ntfs' should work fine.

Thaks again,
		Szaka

--
NTFS-3G:  http://ntfs-3g.org