Re: Is rename(2) atomic on FAT?

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> Von: "Chris Murphy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This can't happen. U-boot is strictly single threaded, no interrupts,
no nothing.

For the ext4 case in U-boot, it does a replay not to have clean file
system upon read but to not corrupt it upon write.

For UBIFS, for example, U-boot does a replay also before reading.
But it replays into memory. The journal size is fixed and known,
so no big deal.

>> > Yeah that's got its own difficulties, including the way distro build
>> > systems work. I'm not opposed to it, but it's a practical barrier to
>> > adoption. I'd almost say it's easier to make Btrfs $BOOT compulsory,
>> > make static ESP compulsory, and voila!
>>
>> I really don't get your point. I thought you are designing a "sane"
>> system which can tolerate powercuts down an update.
>> Why care about distros?
>> The approach with Linux being a "bootloader" is common for embedded/secure
>> systems.
>
> I want something as generic as possible, so as many use cases have
> reliable kernel/bootloader updates as possible, so that fewer users
> experience systems face planting following such updates. Any system
> can experience an unscheduled, unclean shutdown. Exceptions to the
> generic case should be rare and pretty much be about handling hardware
> edge cases.

Don't forget UEFI updates. ;-)

Really, you can't have it all on a x86 system in such a generic way.

Thanks,
//richard