Re: Is rename(2) atomic on FAT?

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
>> U-boot, for example. Of course it does not so for any filesystem, but whe=
> re
>> it is needed and makes sense.
>
> Really? uboot does journal replay on ext3/4? I think at this point the
> most common file system on Linux distros is unquestionably ext4, and
> the most common bootloader is GRUB and for sure GRUB is no doing
> journal replay on anything, including ext4.

For ext4 it does a replay when you start to write to it.

> Yeah that's got its own difficulties, including the way distro build
> systems work. I'm not opposed to it, but it's a practical barrier to
> adoption. I'd almost say it's easier to make Btrfs $BOOT compulsory,
> make static ESP compulsory, and voila!

I really don't get your point. I thought you are designing a "sane"
system which can tolerate powercuts down an update.
Why care about distros?
The approach with Linux being a "bootloader" is common for embedded/secure
systems.

Thanks,
//richard