Re: "Write once only but read many" filesystem

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 08:47:16AM +0800, Peter Teoh wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.   The requirement from upfront is that it is
> ALWAYS WRITE-ONCE only.   But many of you will say that it is
> impossible, as it can be written over again via other means.   Yes, the
> other means is via "dd", but that will require that you unmount the
> filesystem first, then using dd and hexeditor to modify the
> filesystem.   Not sure if I had made myself clear?

You're confused.  The kernel cannot prevent root from modifying a block
device while a filesystem is mounted.

Sounds to me like what you really want is a printer.  You can't modify
what's been printed.

You could also use a second computer and log to that.

> May be I will describe an auditing scenario to make myself clear - why
> the above does not meet the requirement.   First, an arbitrary
> application does something, then the auditing daemon will record it
> down, into a file.   Once the file is open for write, it is possible to
> continuosly write to it.   But once close, it automatically becomes
> read-only.   But permanently no userspace tool can reverse the read-only
> attribute - controlled from the kernel.   But while being opened and
> written, it is not possible to move back the file pointer as well - ie,
> once written, is written, not possible to overwrite.   Concurrently,
> other files can be opened on the same directory for writing.   Can any
> of the abovementioned userspace tool, or existing ext2/3/4 configuration
> can satisfy the above requirement?

Can't be done.  root can ptrace the auditing daemon and change what it
wants to write.

a retrograde step."