Labeled-NFS questions

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 20:58 -0400, Dave Quigley wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>     I was working through Christoph's comments on the Labeled NFS work
> and I ran into the wall that sent me on tangent about the setxattr
> hook.
>
> The problem is we are using the iattr structure to send the label
> information down into the appropriate NFS calls. The reasons we do this
> are 1) that is how it is currently being done and 2) it would involve
> adding parameters in quite a few functions all down the call chain to do
> it as an additional parameter. Now the issue at hand is that by adding a
> field into the iattr structure we should also add the appropriate
> functionality to inotify and its ilk. This is a problem because, to set
> the inode on disk we need a dentry, but the iattr interfaces only take
> inodes. Clearly I have several things here that are mutually exclusive.
>
> Christoph has already expressed his desire for me not to overload iattr
> with this and for the NFS server code I can accommodate this in a
> reasonable way. However, the client code relies on the iattr structure
> pretty extensively for passing this information around. Since this is
> going to involve extensive modifications no matter which way it goes I
> figured I would ask for suggestions from the key players before moving
> forward.
>
> Dave

I apologize for having to forward this to fs-devel but I didn't realize
before I sent this mail last night that I had pasted the mailing list
into the subject rather into the CC box. It was getting late and I was
about to head out so I rushed it a bit.

Sorry for the repost those who already got this mail.

Dave