Re: UDF developer ID & registration

On 02/27/2018 02:57 AM, Jan Kara wrote:

Hello,

On Mon 26-02-18 20:11:13, Pali Rohár wrote:
Hi! In UDF specification is on more pages written that developers who
want to implement UDF should complete OSTA UDF Registration Form.

List of registered developers and UDF implementations is available at
the web pages:

http://www.osta.org/specs/isvsearch.htm
http://www.osta.org/specs/isvmssearch.htm

On that list is already a record with Developer ID "Linux -- UDF"
registered by BitWizard B.V. company.

Linux kernel uses Developer ID "Linux UDFFS". Same ID is used by
udftools/mkudffs.

I already contacted Roger Wolff from BitWizard B.V. company and he wrote
me that he haven't done anything with UDF like 10-15 years. And he gives
me permission to use that registered Developer ID.

What do you think should we register Developer ID "Linux UDFFS" to OSTA
as this ID is already used by Linux kernel and mkudffs tool? And if yes,
who should do that? Seems like registration is done for a company /
organization, not for project name.

Or use ID "Linux -- UDF" which is already registered?

I successfully contacted OSTA email reflector and I got response, that
OSTA UDF reflector hasn't been used in several years, but filling
registration form and choosing developer ID is still possible.
Frankly, I don't care since I don't think there's any real value behind
that string :). Just out of laziness I'd stay with what we have.

								Honza
Concur

Steve