Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Compounding support in CIFS.KO

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:40 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 08:22:03AM +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>> I think you are right.  The topic of cifs compounding is only really
>> interesting to cifs folks and not many others.  While other
>> filesystems such as NFSv4 has compounding too, the way compounding
>> works in cifs is different enough that there is little meaningful
>> overlap between the two.
>
> I'm trying to remember what people have found to be the obstacles to
> more aggressive use of compounds in NFS.  (Things like opening a file
> and doing IO to it in one compound.)  Might it be more practical with
> some VFS changes?  Are there some shared CIFS/NFS issues there?

Very likely - things that results in the equivalent of getattr/open/getattr
for example.  Should be possible to find examples where multiple
VFS calls could be optionally compressed into one (for network file systems
where the individual calls are expensive to send independently).

--
Thanks,

Steve