Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Compounding support in CIFS.KO

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 06:23:03AM +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> Compounding support for cifs.ko
>
> In CIFS.KO we are currently adding compounding support for SMB2/3.
> As SMB* is a very chatty protocol which likes to do open/query/close a LOT
> compounding support to wrap all three operations inside a single round trip
> can have a significant performance boost to meta data intensive workloads.
>
> In this talk I will talk about the challenges I faced and what previous design
> decisions in cifs.ko that made this very hard and how I refactored the design.
>
> I will also talk about the current status of these patches as well as give a
> live demonstration of compounding in action.

I think all of these things are worthwhile and stand to improve
the implementation a lot.  Are they of interest to other filesystem
developers?  Are there VFS changes which would help make compounding
easier?  Or is this only of interest to other CIFS people, in which case
this might not be the best use of a slot at LSFMM ...