Re: Fix(es) for ext2 fsync bug

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:15:59 -0500, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:39:02AM -0600, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> It was my understanding from the persentation of Dawson that ext3 and jfs
> have ame problem.

Hmm.  If jfs has the problem, it is a bug.  jfs is designed to handle
this correctly.  I'm pretty sure I've fixed at least one bug that
eXplode has uncovered in the past.  I'm not sure what was mentioned in
the presentation though.  I'd like any information about current
problems in jfs.

That was not my understanding of the charts that were presented
earlier this week.  Ext3 journaling code will deal with this case
explicitly, just as jfs does.

My mistake: there were fsync bugs in JFS and ext2 that cannot be
fixed by fsck. Not same for JFS and ext2. See quote:
"There were two interesting fsync errors, one in JFS
and one in ext2. The ext2 bug is a case where an
implementation error points out a deeper design problem."
"We found two bugs (one in JFS, one in Reiser4) where crashed
disks cannot be recovered by fsck."

						- Ted

-