Re: Fix(es) for ext2 fsync bug

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:09:22 -0500, Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 09:20 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:

Another very heavyweight approach would be to simply force a full sync
of the filesystem whenever fysnc() is called.  Not pretty, and without
the proper write ordering, the race is still potentially there.

I don't think this race is an issue, in that it would require the crash
to happen before the fsync completed, so there would be no expectation
that the data is safe.  It's a moot point, since I don't think this is
an acceptable solution anyway.

I'd say that the best way to handle this is in fsck, but quite frankly
it's relatively low priority "bug" to handle, since a much simpler
workaround is to tell people to use ext3 instead.

Right.  Who's still using ext2?
It was my understanding from the persentation of Dawson that ext3 and jfs have same problem. It is not an ext2 only problem. Also whatever solution we adopt
we need to be sure that we test it using the eXplode methodology.

/Sorin
-