Re: fscache review comments, part 2

Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  - there's a bunch of gfp_t-related sparse warnings.  I'll send a patch
>    to fix them as a followup to this mail.

Added.

>  - the Kconfig hackery is rather ugly.  I'd rather express the depencies
>    with selects in this case - the filesystem fscache options select
>    FSCACHE, as does the cachefiles module.  Patch will be sent later.

I don't much like that either; some people want to build FS-Cache in whilst
retaining AFS and NFS as modules, and you've removed that option.  I also
think "select" should go away as it causes problems, though that's a weakness
of the config programs.

>  - include/linux/fscache.h is an utter mess :)
>    Please reorder the file so there's just a single big
>    #if defined(CONFIG_FSCACHE) || defined(CONFIG_FSCACHE_MODULE)
>    #else
>    #endif
>    block.  Doing that will also allow to drop a lot of the __fscache
>    function and directly stub out the non-__ versions.

Sigh.  Another #ifdef-hater.

>  - please remove the #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB BUG_ONs from cookie.c,
>    driver should never deal with slab or slab debugging internals.

They're useful debugging checks, but okay.

>  - various statically initialize structs in main.c set members to
>    NULL, which is not required and should be removed

Ok.

>  - IIRC k* release callbacks must not be NULL.  Please check which
>    Greg on your kset usage

Eh?  The only one I've got is not NULL.  It points to fscache_ktype_release().

>  - please adjust your comment style to normal linux style.  kernel-doc
>    headers for functions please,

kernel-doc is broken.  It encourages people to be lazy about writing proper
documentation.  I have provided proper documentation.

>  - maybe fscache should provide a generic ->mkwrite operation or
>    even a set of otherwise filemap-based vm_operations for it's client
>    filesystems?

Possibly.

David
-