Re: File System Address Space Operations

On 8/1/06, UZAIR LAKHANI <uzairr_bs1b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Martin Jambor <jambormartin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/29/06, UZAIR LAKHANI <uzairr_bs1b@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I want to find out the details of the address
> space
> > operations. Where can I get the detailed
> information
> > about the address space operations.
>
> Have a look at
>
> a) Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt
> b) Documentation/filesystems/Locking and
> c) some simple fs that uses it (minix?)

Hello All,

Thanks for your reply and help. But the (a) and (b)
above don't give me enough details about the
theoretical aspects of address space operations. For
example why these operations are needed. What is their
flow etc. If you please give some more links that help
me understanding address space operations and buffer
cache issues clearly, then I will be thankful to you.

I think both (a) and (b) are rather good. More stuff I can think about
would include:

* Robert Love: Linux Kernel Development, Chapter 15 (page 269)

* Mel Gorman: Understanding the  Linux Virtual Memory Manager,
 section 4.4 (available online)

* I guess "Understanding the Linux  Kernel" would cover it as well but
 I have not had a look at it yet.

* Search Google for "Linux Page Cache."  (I, for example, within a few
 seconds  came  across http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel_2_4/lki-4.html
 which does not seem very outdated (at a glance).

I personally learnt  about the page cacher by  reading the source code
of  ramfs  and  minix,  especially  the  generic  kernel  handlers  of
file_operations  and address_space_operations. If  you want  to really
understand the stuff, you simply have  to do it.  If you have problems
understanding      the     code,     people      at     #kernelnewbies
(www.kernelnewbies.org) can and often do help.

HTH

Martin
-