Re: File System Address Space Operations

>But the (a) and (b)
>above don't give me enough details about the
>theoretical aspects of address space operations. For
>example why these operations are needed.
>What is their flow etc.

It would help to know which part you're stuck on:

The address space operations are the methods of an address space object.
An object obviously needs methods.  Or maybe you're asking about the
particular operations?

Are you asking how an address space works, or how and why a filesystem
driver uses address spaces?  Address spaces exist independently of
filesystems -- they can be used for things other than files and
filesystems don't have to use them.

The distinction is important, because how an address space works is
primarily a memory manager question, while how filesystems use them is
primarily a filesystem question.

BTW, the term "address space" can be quite misleading.  In computers,
"address space" usually refers to something else -- something to do with
the CPU architecture.  What the linux kernel calls an address space is
what some other operating systems call a "virtual memory object," and I
find that a lot more descriptive.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems

-