Re: RFC improving amount of content in 5.11

On 9/16/20 11:01 PM, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> Tom,
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 08:07:42AM -0700, Tom Rix wrote:
>> On 9/15/20 2:33 PM, Moritz Fischer wrote:
>>> Tom,

>>> I don't consider that to be out of the norm, especially if you want
>>> multiple people to give feedback on a changeset. This is a result of the
>>> distributed nature of people working across several timezones.
>>>
>>> I generally prefer to go a bit slower and get it right rather than
>>> having to redo or realize we got the interfaces wrong -- some of which
>>> have to stay stable.

>>> So far I haven't seen that happen that many times.

>>> Again I haven't seen more than that in the past.

>>> Tbh, this is easy to fix as vendor by just submitting the code earlier
>>> and in smaller chunks. People can send out RFCs early and then we can
>>> discuss designs and not just show up with 20+ patch series and expect them
>>> to be merged as is (ideally within 2-3 revisions) even more so if they
>>> span several subsystems.
>>>
>>> The kernel never has cared about corporate timelines, and as vendor if
>>> you care about timely hardware support (and want to avoid out-of-tree
>>> nightmares) start early with your upstreaming efforts. That has always
>>> been the case.

>>> As you pointed out above, the bottleneck is review velocity, I don't
>>> know what staging PRs helps with that.

>>> The problem is I'd still like to review the patches that go into my
>>> subsystem. I appreciate your help with the reviews, and it's been
>>> helpful so far. I don't think having an addtional maintainer will help
>>> with that at this point.
>> We agree slow reviews are throttling the content in the releases.
>>
>> Is this a temporary situation with your work or is it steady state?
> Tbh, I don't appreciate the tone you're taking with your emails:
>
> Starting a conversation with how disappointed you are is generally not a
> great way to get people on board with anything.
>
> I'll let you know when I need help beyond the reviews, as I already told
> you earlier in the replies to your off-list emails.
>
> I am not generally opposed to the idea of bringing on new maintainers --
> Hao has done a great job for the DFL code so far -- but as of now I do
> not see an immediate benefit (or need) in terms of process to adding more
> FPGA maintainers.
>
>> Are slow reviews the only problem ?
> Since the FPGA pull requests go through Greg's tree they need to be sent
> out earlier than a pull request to Linus, if you send out a patchset
> around rc4 don't expect it to go in in that release if it requires a
> non-trivial amount of review -- if you have patches just send them.
>
>> Which is getting back to my original RFC on how can we improve the amount of content in the releases ?
> Send patches earlier (ideally start with an RFC if you intend larger
> changes) and in smaller batches, which will save you time later in the
> process.

I am sorry, this is difficult i just did not know where to start, i know this is stressful.

My ask for more content is the first step in a bigger ask.

My expectation is that developers should be able to develop first in the kernel.

This a win for everyone, it supports the your call for small changes and rfc's, kills off oot drivers etc.

Having reviewed xilinx and intel dev repos I know we are far far from this.

Thanks for bearing with me,

Tom