Re: Getting FB to work in Console

On Sun, 13 November 2011 Anatolij Gustschin <agust@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:16:52 -0500 (EST)
> David J Ring Jr <n1ea@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > OK so how do I get a frame buffer driver loaded?
>
> Check if some frame buffer drivers are installed
> in your system, so e.g. run
>
> ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video
>
> to see if there are any frame buffer driver modules
> installed.
>
> Then you have to select the suitable driver for your
> graphic card and load it by running
>
> modprobe drivername
>
> > I don't have any backlisted framebuffer drivers, what is stopping me from
> >
> > Does anyone know what I have to do?
>

> Usually the driver should be loaded automatically if
> it is installed. Maybe some error happened while loading
> the driver. Dump the kernel log messages by running dmesg
> and check if there was an attempt to load the driver for
> your graphic card.

The other case might be a mainsteam GPU (radeon, nouveau, intel) and
KMS support built in (or available as module) but disabled by "nomodeset"
cmdline option that did show up in a previous post.

Just booting with "vga=0x31a" (or another value more appropriate for
attached screen -- see Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt for list) might
provide a basic framebuffer device.

lspci for the affected system will certainly help at least indicating
which driver would be the right one.

Bruno