Re: Getting FB to work in Console

Hello David,

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 02:45:17 -0500 (EST)
David J Ring Jr <n1ea@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any suggestions?
>
> I have changed grub to give me a large 640x480 screen and that works but
> and it gives me color say if I have bash add color to folders and
> executables - and mc comes up in color but no links2 -g in color because
> no /dev/fb0.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> I made my username member of its own group and also tty and video.
>
> As I said before I tried mknod and that worked but when I rebooted
> /dev/fb0 was gone.
>
> I tried the mknod command again and it created /dev/fb0
> which is owned by root and in root group.  I changed the group to video.
>
> Now root has rwx permissions the group can read and everyone can read.

You have to add write permissions for the group also. Check if
/dev/fb0 can be accessed if you create it by using
sudo mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0 -m 660
sudo chown :video /dev/fb0

> I run links2 -g and it still says it cannot access /dev/fb0.
>
> If I reboot /dev/fb0 will disappear.
>
> I'm stuck!

What is the output of following commands on your system?
cat /proc/fb
cat /proc/cmdline
dmesg | grep vesa

Anatolij