Re: Getting FB to work in Console

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:57:26 -0500 (EST)
David J Ring Jr <n1ea@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Anatolij,
>
> Nice to hear from you and thank you for your suggestions.
>
> I did what you said and now I have a /dev/fb0 with permissions
>
> ls /dev/fb0 -alsh
>
> 0 crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 Nov 13 18:25 /dev/fb0
>
> Output of cat /proc/fb
>
> No output.

The frame buffer driver for your graphic card is not in the
kernel or could not bee initialized properly, so this is one
reason for missing /dev/fb0.

Are kernel modules installed in your system? What is the output
of the command below?

ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video

If you do not know which graphic chip is in your system,
you might want to run

lspci -v | grep VGA

Then you have to install the appropriate frame buffer driver
kernel module or alternatively to build the kernel with frame
buffer driver included.

Anatolij